Text source: Hope for Europe
Introduction / History
The Svanetians (Svan) live in west Georgia, and are a sub-ethnic group. The Svan's were one of three groups that made up Georgia years ago. In the 16th-17th centuries, after the aggression of Turkey and Iran, this land was conquered by Turkey. In 1811 west Georgia was joined to Russia. In 1991 Georgia became independent from Russia.
Their families are small, and the husband is the head of his family. The Svan really respect the older women in families. They use the Georgian language, but also have their own.
What are their beliefs?
They are Orthodox Christians, and took Christianity in the 4th-6th centuries.
Prayer PointsView Svanetian, Mushwan in all countries.
* Pray that they would know the peace of the one true living God, and become peace-makers, known as sons of God.
* Pray that their Christian roots would not be lost, and that the Holy Spirit would bring conviction of sin.
* Pray the New Testament will be translated into their language.
* Pray for translation of the Bible to begin in this people group's primary language.
* Pray for the availability of the Jesus Film in the primary language of this people.
* Pray for Gospel messages to become available in audio format for this people group.