Photo Source: Anonymous
Map Source: People Group data: Omid. Map geography: UNESCO / GMI. Map Design: Joshua Project
|People Name:||Patwa (Muslim traditions)|
|Christian Adherents:||0.00 %|
|Online Audio NT:||No|
|People Cluster:||South Asia Muslim - other|
|Affinity Bloc:||South Asian Peoples|
The Patwas are associated with threading of beads and stitchery. The community name, Patwa, is associated with the making of woven cloth.
There are Muslim Patwa people in Bangladesh, India, and a smaller number in Pakistan. The more numerous Hindu Patwas all live in India.
Muslim Patwas have their own clans (gotras) and lineages. Clans regulate marriage alliances, and lineages trace ancestries. Marriages rarely occur outside the Patwa community.
The Patwas are mainly Hindu, though there are some Muslims among them, forming a separate community. In such situations, Muslims tend to retain aspects of Hindu spirituality such as revering saints, and looking to charms and amulets for their needs rather than Allah, the God of Islam. Those who are devout Muslims will pray five times facing Mecca, the holy city of Islam, and even go on the required pilgrimage to Mecca.
Like all unreached people groups, the Muslim Patwas need the chance to embrace Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. Ideally, there will be leaders in their communities who will open the door for those who are spiritually hungry to seek and find Him.
* Pray for workers to go to the Muslim Patwas, and for their hearts to be ready to receive their savior.
* Pray for networks of believing families and fellowships that will throw the doors open for others to follow Jesus.
* Pray for the Lord to bless the families among the Muslim Patwa people with his presence and mercy.
* Pray for believers among this people group to disciple others who will disciple still others.
* Pray for Bible believing fellowships and churches among the Muslim Patwas.