Introduction / History
The Rajbansis are one of the Khen peoples who originated in what is now northern Bangladesh. In the 15th century, they were the rulers of the Kamarupa Kingdom. Today they are regarded as a low status scheduled caste in Hindu society. Rajbansi means “of royal blood” or “descendant of the king.” They are also known as the Koch people. Ethnically, they are more related to the Tibetans than they are to people in the Bengali speaking parts of South Asia.
Where Are they Located?
In India, the Rajbansi Khen are located in the states of West Bengal and Assam. Most live in Bangladesh.
What Are Their Lives Like?
Most are now farmers though there are carpenters, blacksmiths, and traders among them. They claim Kshatrya status, but most other Hindu communities put them in the category of the less prestigious scheduled castes because of their tribal background.
What Are Their Beliefs?
They weave their own clothes. Since they do not have high caste status, the Rajbansi Khen people eat all kinds of meat except beef. Like most rural peoples in South Asia, their staple foods include rice and lentils.
Music is an important part of their culture. They have their own music which often entails stringed instruments, bells, and various drums.
The Rajbansi Khen people are Hindu, though the Hindu religious system has not been good to them. They are assigned a much lower status than they believe they should have. They are loyal to the Hindu religious system. Who will show them the way to become part of Christ’s royal family?
What Are Their Needs?
The Rajbansi Khen people need to put their identity in Jesus Christ rather than their past accomplishments. Their future lies with the Savior!
* Scripture Prayers for the Rajbansi Khen (Hindu traditions) in India.
* Pray for the Holy Spirit to give the Rajbansi Khen people in India teachable and understanding hearts.
* Pray for a strong movement of the Holy Spirit will bring entire Rajbansi Khen families into a rich experience of God’s blessing.
* Pray for Rajbansi Khen families to be drawn by the Holy Spirit to seek forgiveness, and to understand the adequacy of Christ’s work on the cross.
* Pray for teams of believers to do sustained, focused prayer for the Lord to open the hearts of Rajbansi Khen family leaders to experience God’s blessing through a movement of family-based discovery Bible studies.