Introduction / History
Traditionally, Sathwara people worked in agriculture. They are also called Sathvara, Satwara, and by other names that are Kadra Sath., Kadra Salvara, Dalwadi, Salwara Kadia, Samaj, and Kutchi Salvara. Kadia is the name of a Hindu people that works in masonry. (The name Kadia may have been given because of the masonry work done by Sathwara people.)
Where Are they Located?
Northern Gujarati Sathwara people are divided into the Danderiza group living in Saberkanthra and the Patanawdia living in the Mehsana region.
What Are Their Lives Like?
They live mostly in Northern Gujarat. They are found in the coastal city of Porbandar. They live mostly in Northern Gujarat, Saurashtra and Kitch. In Gujarat they live mainly in Patan, Mehsana, Bhavnagar, Jamnagar, Jungadh, Sabakantha, Surentmagar and Vadhigar.
Sathwara people work in masonry, agriculture, and in urban occupations. They are both vegetarian and non-vegetarian. They choose marriage partners from within their group.
What Are Their Beliefs?
They speak in Gujarati and Kutchi. Bible audio, visual, and written resources exist in the Gujarati language, however, Sathwara people remain unreached with the gospel.
They publish a magazine called Satvara Shikshan Sandesh.
Sathwara people are a mostly of the Hindu religion.
What Are Their Needs?
The state of Gujarat enforces an anti-conversion law which penalizes all who would leave the Hindu religion. The need for evangelization among Sathwara people is more difficult there than in other states in India where the is no such law.
Their main temporal needs involve relational strains that are usually kept behind closed doors. Modernization is breaking down family units which have been the glue to society for many generations, and loneliness is increasingly a problem. They are expected to "achieve it all," but ironically, achieving it all can be empty.
They need the truth of the gospel to be communicated to them as only God's Holy Spirit can communicate through obedient disciples.
* Scripture Prayers for the Sathwara in India.
* Pray for a disciple making movement to emerge among every Sathwara community.
* Pray for many to be prompted to faithfully pray for Sathwara people. Devoid of Christ's blessings.
* Pray that Sathwara people will see past their respective traditional Hindu worship to the futility of it all, and experience a growing desire to know the truth of God's Word.
* Pray that Sathwara people will be liberated by God's Holy Spirit from the many ties that bind them to lives