Introduction / History
The Sali are a group of people who live across south India. Their name means "weaver." Their traditional occupation has been that of weaving silk and cotton. The Sali are known for producing beautiful silk saris. In some Indian states the Sali are a Scheduled Caste, which means they are entitled to special benefits in education and public employment. They have a couple of subgroups, including the Pattariyas.
Where Are they Located?
The Pattariya Sali community is located in the southernmost parts of Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
What Are Their Lives Like?
Most Sali still engage in their ancient profession of weaving, dyeing and designing clothes in silk, cotton and other fibers. Some work in factories that produce cotton clothing. Others work in agricultural as laborers on others ' land.
What Are Their Beliefs?
The Sali are endogamous, that is they marry within their caste. Cousin marriages are common. Adult marriages are the rule with families arranging the marriages with the consent of the young persons. Brahman priests officiate at important life rituals. The dead are both cremated and buried.
The Pattariya Sali people are Hindu, which means that they can potentially worship any one of millions of local gods. Hindus look to their gods not for direction or love, but for protection and favors.
What Are Their Needs?
There are thousands of firm believers in Kerala and Tamil Nadu who can take Christ to this Hindu people group.
* Scripture Prayers for the Sali Pattariyan in India.
* Pray for the Pattariya Sali culture to be renewed and enhanced by a work of the Holy Spirit and shaped into a God-centered and God-honoring mold.
* Pray for the Holy Spirit to move among Pattariya Sali family and community leaders to seek His face and enjoy His blessings.
* Pray for the Lord to thrust out workers who will be compelled to nurture a disciple making movement among the Pattariya Sali people.
* Pray that soon the Pattariya Sali people will have faith that will lead them to live honorable lives that will draw others to the Savior.