Introduction / History
Kadia is a subgroup of the Kumbhar caste. They broke away from this potter caste to become masons. They are considered to be a "disadvantaged" caste because they perform manual labor.
Where Are they Located?
The Kadia Kumbhar people live in Gujarat, a state in western India.
What Are Their Lives Like?
Working as masons is difficult work that offers little pay. This community is not as poor as some, but they have little wealth. It is difficult for them to send their children to universities.
What Are Their Beliefs?
Kadia Kumbhar families follow many of the same patterns as other Hindu communities. The oldest son because the head of the household after the father or grandfather dies. They have restrictions regarding whom one marries, and the family heads have the final decision. They practice cremation for the dead.
The Kadia Kumbhar people practice Hinduism, the ancient religion of India. They worship and serve the gods of the Hindu pantheon. Hindus believe that by performing rituals and good works that they will attain moksha or freedom from the endless cycle of birth, death and rebirth. They visit Hindu temples and offer prayers, food, flowers, and incense to their gods in hopes of gaining protection and benefits. They do not have a personal or familial relationship with their gods like Christians or Jews. There are many forms of Hinduism, each with its own deities and beliefs.
What Are Their Needs?
The main yearly holidays of the Kadia Kumbhar people are Holi, the festival of colors and the start of spring / Diwali, the festival of lights / Navratri, the celebration of autumn / and Rama Navami, Rama's birthday.
The Kadia Kumbhar people need better education for their children so they can advance beyond their modest means. Higher education is seldom available to communities that perform manual labor.
* Scripture Prayers for the Kadia Kumbhar in India.
* Pray for gospel workers to catch a vision for reaching the Kadia Kumbhar people for Jesus and that in God's sovereign timing their hearts would be open and ready to follow Him.
* Pray for Jesus movements to bless extended families so the gospel will spread rapidly among this people group.
* Pray for the spiritual lives of the Kadia Kumbhar people to become fruitful as they follow Christ.
* Pray for the lives and culture of the Kadia Kumbhar people to evidence the rule and reign of the Kingdom of God as they open to the gospel, and for the beauty of Jesus to be seen in them.